Do you want to study structural engineering or civil engineering? Structural engineers design luxury buildings and infrastructures such as bridges, dams, tunnels, skyscrapers, and other structures. Civil engineers build them too, but they also design roads and sewers.
If you plan to become a structural engineer, you'll need solid math skills and strong problem solving abilities as well as an interest in science. Find out more about these requirements and get ready to prepare for the exam.
This quick guide for civil engineers helps a lot if you plan to career in Structural Engineering Career.
If you gain valuable solutions from civil experience then join us for more ideas & learning and help your friends by sharing this useful article.
Structural Engineering Career
This Structural Engineering Career post of civil experience is related to young budding civil/structural engineers or students; to start with a structural engineering career.
#1 Revise Basics and Start Without Computers
- Revise the BMD (Bending moment diagram), SFD (Shear force diagram), and Bending stress chapter from Strength of materials.
- Understand static indeterminacy and kinematic indeterminacy. Solve some plane frame problems by the matrix method approach.
- Revise the basic material properties of structural materials.
- Design the analyzed plane frame elements i.e., beams, columns, and foundations.
- Draw the support condition diagram for slabs, based on the edge condition of IS 456-2000, and design one way slab and two way slabs
- Read IS 456-2000 for the chapters on Beams, columns, slabs, and foundations. Check that you have not violated any design specifications while carrying out steps d and e. If the step is not correct as per the code, then revise the design.
- Draw the reinforcement diagram for the designed elements. Guide-SP34.
#2 Start with computers
- Analyze the plane frame using any computer application. Understand the Global and local coordinates of the FEA program. Check the stress resultant outputs with hand calculations.
- Define design parameters in FEA program with the help of steps 1-f.
- Carry out design and check calculations of software outputs.
- Develop some best civil engineering excel spreadsheets for design applications. This will improve the engineer’s skill in excel applications.
- Optional -If possible, develop software using any coding language. Python or excel VBA. Python is a free source.
#3 Solve a Big Problem
- Choose a three-dimensional building frame and prepare the structural layout, i.e. fix column and beam locations. Reference 4-a.
- Refer IS codes for loading standards.
- Either the engineer can divide the building frame into the plane frames and carry out the substitute frame method or a computer program can be used. At this stage a computer program is suitable.
- Analyze the frame and check the stress resultant diagram of the building frame. At this stage, the engineer should be completely familiar with BMD and SFD diagrams to verify to software output diagram.
- Define the design parameters and building stability parameters in the FEA program.
- Check the design calculations and prepare the design report.
[CE_note note_color=”#fff666″]Also Read: Steps for Analysis and Design of Any Structure[/CE_note]
#4 Some Reference Books
- Illustrated reinforced concrete design by V L shah and S L Karve.
- Limit state theory and RCC design by V L Shah and S L Karve.
- Reinforced concrete design by PC Verghese.
- Advanced reinforced concrete by PC Verghese.
- Reinforce concrete design by H J Shah. Vol 1 and 2.
- Design of reinforced concrete foundations P C Verghese.
- A to Z building construction by Mantri- To understand construction activities at the site.
- Structural Analysis by Devdas Menon.
If you need a book pdf then comment on the name of the book so we will provide a PDF of that book.
The Civil Experiences always keeps updating our Articles/posts with the latest civil engineering news, Structural Engineering Career tips, exam papers, Answer links Jobs & Information. So, Don’t forget to bookmark the Civil Experiences website and Please share this link with your friends to help them.