When we consider the design of a building, we usually concentrate on the beautiful design, or innovative interior designs Right!!!
But, there is a crucial important element that often ignore/unnoticed, because its hidden in the lower parts of the column structure which is column starter.
Although not as popular than other building components, column starters are essential to a building's stability and structural integrity.
So, If you Want to learn all about Column Starter such as column starter definition, What is Column starter in construction, how thick should a column starter, their use, and Purpose of starter in the column so this Civil Experience article give you The Ultimate Guide to Column Starter.
Starter for column
Column Starter Definition in Civil Engineering
Column Starter definition is RCC Column starter is a smaller part of the column of concrete material with the same length and breadth of the column which gives a guideline for column extension for the perfect building layout.
Why Column Starter is Provided | Why do We Provide Column Starter For RCC Columns?
Column Starter construction is generally a casting of concrete material with column starter size/starter column frame equivalent width and length of column section and the height of column starter box should be around 6 centimeters and it is caused in such a manner that equal cover is left and circling the reinforcement bars off the column and then shuttering of the column is provided.
Significance of Building Column Starters in Construction Projects
Column construction need special care like layout marking, column starter marking, column starter construction, Reinforcement work, Joint & lapping in RC columns, shuttering, Minimum Concrete Cover, casting as well as curing of concrete.
Proper alignment of columns is essential for the overall stability of the structure. Column starters helps to achieve vertical alignment by providing a level base for the columns to rest upon. This alignment ensures that the loads are distributed evenly and that the building remains structurally sound.
Why Column Starter Use in Column?
Column starter has many advantages but the short and main purposes of the starter are to find turn the formwork of a column vertically to maintain the sufficient gap among the column reinforcement and shuttering and the rest of listed below.
- Column starter in construction is easily set up to check the centerline of the column with the help of the starter center line | It is easier to set up and check the center line of the starter as compared to that of the column right.
- The existence of the starter of the column as exact placing the column becomes stronger sometimes the column formwork turn out to the to be skew with starter this issued is reduced completely.
- Fixing of the column shuttering is more accurate withdrawing because starter already exists and The chances of column formwork becoming skew are eliminated.
- Once the shuttering for the column is completed, supports or bracing are settled, the verticality there for examined on two sides (adjacent faces) with a plumb bob, and alignment is examined through a cotton or nylon thread or as you like.
- Then the column is cast with a structural design mix after all designs are checked and approved by the structure engineer.
- The column shuttering shall be removed the next day and the curing shall be taken up. it is depending on the climate condition (temperature and humidity), the curing can be done either by spraying water at intermediate intervals or by wrapping the column with hessian clothes and keeping it wet.
Column Starter Construction
Starter in column are required to align the column properly during casting.
Column starter height as per is code: Starter for column marking is the process of casting the first 50 to 100 mm height of column box for the alignment of rest of the column. This size is also know as column starter size.
Shutters (column starter frame) are created to the column's size and typically range in height from 75 to 100 mm when constructing a starter column.
At the base of the column, the shutters are put in place in accordance with the central line. Verify the verticality of the starter's shuttering and reinforcements.
Remove the starter's formwork after the curing period has passed.
By overlapping the shutter on the cast starter, the remaining column's shuttering should be rectified.
Before inserting the reinforcement in the case of a footing or slab, the shuttering should be secured and tested. This is required because some formwork flaws are difficult or impossible to fix once reinforcement is installed.
However, in the instance of the column, the shutter should be fixed after the column's reinforcements have been fixed and tested. Despite being ideal, it has been noted that most sites do not adhere to this practise.
Watch This Video If you want to see on Site Column Starter
FAQ 1: What is Column Starter?
Column starter is a smaller part of the column of concrete material with the same length and breadth of column which give guideline for column extend for perfect layout
FAQ 2: Why is a starter used in a column?
Column starter is easily set up to check the centre line of the column with the help of the starter centre line Fixing of the column shuttering is more accurate withdrawing because starter already exists and The chances of column formwork becoming skew are eliminated Once the shuttering for the column is completed, supports or bracing are settled, the verticality there for examined on two sides ( adjacent faces ) with a plumb bob and alignment is examined through a cotton or nylon thread or as you like Then the column is cast with a structural design mix after all design checked and approved by the structure engineer