Before that you must have proper knowlagde of constituents of bricks but don't worry here in The Civil Experiences you will get proper detaile regaring Brick specifications, Brick specifications, Brick chemical composition, and composition of good bricks. Which all are fully explain so read whole article and follow us if you gain valuable answer from The Civil Experiences.
Bricks are made by moulding clay materials in blocks of desired shape and size after drying and burning clay
What are the requirements of good Brick Earth?
The Civil Experiences briefly explain the requirement that composition of good bricks should contain, a good earth brick component that also refers as What are the factors affecting the quality of bricks? Or What is the composition of good brick earth?
And also What are the functions of various ingredients in bricks? So you have to read the whole article
Composition of a Good Brick Earth
|Composition of Good Brick Earth
Silica Brick Composition
- The chemical composition of silica is ‘SiO2’.
- Silica plays a major role in the shape formation of any bricks earth.
- In the composition of good brick earth (a good brick earth should contain), the percentage of silica in a good brick earth lies between 50% to 60%. (Identify the percentage of silica in good brick earth – (Identify the percentage of silica in good brick earth).
- Silica prevents the raw brick from cracking, shrinking, and also warping so offer a uniform shape
- Silica also highly responsible for the durability of bricks.
- Excess of silica in brick earth results in bricks lead to destroys the cohesion property of bricks particles end of result bricks turn into highly brittle/unuseful.
Brick Composition Alumina
- The chemical composition of brick earth alumina is ‘Al2O3’.
- Alumina is the second most major element in the formation of good bricks earth.
- In the composition of good brick earth alumina (a good brick earth should contain), the proportion varies from 20% to 30%.
- The main function of alumina in brick earth is (Alumina is responsible for) moulding ability because its key characteristic is plasticity.
- Excess of alumina in brick earth makes the brick lead shrink and warp during the drying operation
- Alumina in brick earth gives the bricks with better formation.
- Excess use of alumina composition lead to shrink and warp during the drying operation.
Lime Composition of Bricks
- The chemical composition of lime is ‘CaCO3’.
- Lime percentage must (a good brick earth should contain) vary between 5% to 10% for good brick earth.
- Lime main function is to prevent shrinkage of bricks during the drying operation.
- Lime acts as a flux and melts silica in clay and thus it alternatively helps to bind it.
- Excess use of lime produces a bad effect on the brick to melt and brick earth distorted its shape and change color red to yellow.
- The chemical composition of iron oxide in composition of a brick is ‘Fe2O3’.
- Iron oxide offer impermeability and durability to brick composition.
- Its percentage in lass than 7% in good brick earth composition.
- Its also provide strength and hardness to brick earth.
- It's also responsible for color change with its percentage.
- If present in excess quantity in brick then brick turns into dark blue or blackish and less quantity offer yellowish color.
- Magnesia percentage in lass than 1% in good brick composition.
- It offers a yellow tint to brick.
- Magnesia is responsible for reducing shrinkage in brick.
- Excess use of magnesia leads to decay of brick earth.
- Alkalis percentage in lass than 10% in brick composition material.
- There are mainly in the form of soda potash.
- Its offer great value of fluxes i.e. to fusion.
- Excess use of alkalis makes the clay unsuitable for bricks.
- High use causes efflorescence.
Top 10 Harmful Ingredients in Brick Earth
When the chemical composition of clay bricks earth uses in excess proposition then its behave like harmful ingredients in brick composition material.
- High use of silica proposition in bricks lead to destroys the cohesion property of bricks particles end of result bricks turn into highly brittle/unuseful so High percentage use of silica become harmful ingredients in brick earth.
- High use of alumina turn into harmful ingredients in brick earth because brick material shrink and warp due to excess use.
- Excess use of lime produces a bad effect on the brick to melt and brick earth loses its shape.
- If lime is used in lump it’ll decrease moisture Resulting in the disintegration of the brick.
- High use of magnesia became a reason for the decay of bricks.
- Excess use of alkali melt the brick and produce unsymmetrical.
- If gravels, pebbles, and grits are available in raw materials then we have to compromise with the appearance of brick and create an obstruction to the homogeneous mix which leads to cracking in finished brick.
- Excess quantity of water use leads to shrinking of brick.
- Availability of organic particles in brick material which decreases strength and increases water absorption of bricks.
- Excess use of alkalis makes the clay unsuitable for bricks also High use causes efflorescence.
The Civil Experiences always keeps updating our Articles/posts with the latest civil engineering news, Structural Engineering Career tips, exam papers, Answer links Jobs & Information. So, Don’t forget to bookmark the Civil Experiences website and Please share this link with your friends to help them.